Friday, January 11, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

I went to go see Silver Linings Playbook because it's nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture. I had only seen one other film on that list, Django Unchained, and I'm trying to see as many as I can before the Oscars. I'm amazed that more people aren't talking about this movie's cast, cinematography, and script.

This film is about a man being released from a psychiatric hospital after having a violent bi-polar episode. After eight months of rehabilitation, Pat's only goal is to make himself a better person for his wife, whom he hasn't seen since he caught her cheating on him. His ambition is inspiring which only makes his mistakes more tragic.

I would consider this film to be a dark comedy. Many moments had me laughing hysterically, but minutes later I'd be amazed at the intense drama unfolding on screen. The beautiful thing about dark comedies is that, like the protagonist, the high points make the lows even lower.

Every member of the all-star cast delivers a great performance. Bradley Cooper (known for The Hangover) became his character in a way that I never imagined he could. Jennifer Lawrence is stunning and crazy in the best way possible. Robert De Niro, Jacki Weaver, and Chris Tucker are also believable.

The cinematography is inventive without being distracting. The soundtrack is great and always appropriate for the scene.

I would recommend this film to anyone. It contains some elements of a predictable drama, but it's something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment