Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Air - Le Voyage Dans La Lune

If you're being technical, I suppose Air is an electronica band. However, their new album, Le Voyage Dans La Lune, is electronica like I've never heard before. Once again, this duo is redefining a genre.

Their most recent project is actually a soundtrack to the 1902 silent film of the same name. Translated from french it is A Trip To The Moon. Directed by Georges Méliès, it's considered to be the very first science-fiction film. Originally in black and white, the color version has been found and restored. It's being released in conjunction with the album.

This isn't the first time Air has recorded a film score and I dearly hope that it isn't the last. In 1999 they did the score to The Virgin Suicides, directed by Sofia Coppola. Both the movie and the album are fantastic. I can hardly imagine one without the other.

Their new album is like no other by the band. It's filled with actual studio drums instead of a machine. They blast through without disturbing the unity of the songs. "Sonic Armada" is filled with strange sci-fi noises and a thick bass line. It sounds like aliens, robots, and a flutist having some kind of jam session. "Seven Stars," built on fast drums and slow piano, is probably my favorite track at the moment. The rapid bass and drums create a kind of panic while the dreamy vocals (from Victoria Legrand of Beach House) take me to another world. "Who Am I Now?" features soft female vocals trailed by a dark bass drum until the piano comes in and takes over. "Cosmic Trip" is almost startling by its fast tempo and tight drums. I can almost see stars flying past my bedroom window while listening to this song.

This is the freshest electronica I've heard in a very long time. Combining two of my favorite things, films and good music, this is definitely looking to be one of the best albums of 2012.

1 comment:

  1. I remember hearing about this a while ago on Pitchfork. I listened to some of it and didn't find it as impressive, but I would guess that it works better accompanying the movie.

    ReplyDelete